Energy Accord Not until after the Summer
THE HAGUE, 12/07/13 - The energy accord will take longer than previously thought. The negotiators from employers, energy companies, the cabinet and the environmental movement are still fighting over so many things that a definitive accord is not expected until after the summer, those involved say in De Telegraaf newspaper.
Economic Affairs Minister Hank Kamp is still expected to go public with the main lines of an accord after Friday’s weekly cabinet meeting. There is said to be no consensus yet among the negotiators on the details. These will not follow until the autumn.
Insiders report that those involved are still planning a strong play for offshore wind turbines. The employers, who actually see no salvation in these, are however demanding something in exchange. For example, lowering the energy tax that households and companies pay via their energy bills, and which is actually substantially raised under the coalition accord, is under discussion.
The negotiators are said to have already agreed to postpone the target of generating at least 16 percent of energy consumption from renewable sources by 2020, but the number of years of postponement is still being haggled over. Frequently heard dates are 2023 and 2024. The postponement will give the cabinet more time and thus also more financial room to switch to green energy.